A Bit About... Me!

Hey everyone! My name is Samantha Mason and I am currently a Junior attending the University of South Alabama. My major is Social Science Education and I will one day be teaching high school students. I plan to graduate in the Spring of 2011 and will then continue my studies in graduate school.


Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Bit About... Ms. Mason!

As far back as I can recall I have always wanted to teach. As a child, I remember gathering up all of my stuffed animals and lining them up on my bed to have class! I'm not sure what subject I was teaching them then, but I know now that I will be teaching my future students Social Sciences. For those that do not know, Social Sciences is a broad area focusing on history. Aside from history I can also teach geography, psychology, sociology, political science, and economics. I also plan to attend graduate school for Social Sciences as well.

When I look back at my experiences during my elementary, middle, and high school years I can remember every teacher from every grade level that I have ever had. I remember the teachers that were dreaded and the teachers that everyone loved. It also seems like there were many more dreaded teachers! When I reached high school I encountered one of my favorite teachers of all. She not only taught her students, she inspired them as well. From then on I decided to make my thought of being a teacher a reality. I want to teach and inspire my students just as she inspired me. As for the dreaded teachers from my past, I decided to use their methods of teaching as examples of what not to do in the classroom!

I believe that the use of technology in the classroom is becoming a vital part in connecting with students in today's society. After all, I am 20 years old and my 7 year old cousin knows more about technology than I do! The kids are becoming more tech savvy by the minute! So, what better way to teach them than to use a method that they can relate to.

No comments:

Post a Comment